Rice is an irreplaceable part of the Indian diet, especially in South India. It is considered a staple food and consumed almost every meal, albeit in different forms. However, over the last decades, much has been spoken about the nutritional content of rice and how its regular consumption may be adding to health woes. Being the largest source of Carbohydrates, nutritionists and diet consultants constantly ask you to monitor your portion size especially if you are diabetic or trying to achieve weight loss.
But, nature is bountiful and for all the rice lovers, there’s an alternative to rice – another form of rice. Sounds like bait? Fret not, it’s Brown Rice.
What is it? The brown rice grain contains three parts, fibrous bran, the nutritious germ and the carb-rich endosperm which are maintained intact, whereas in white rice the bran and germ are removed, stripping it off major nutrients. Organic Brown Rice or Kaikuthal Arisi, in Tamil, has been considered a healthy alternative.
Here are 7 facts that prove its benefits.
- Saaral Brown rice is a nutritional galore! It is high in proteins and minerals like, calcium, selenium, magnesium and, manganese which is found either in traces or absent in white rice. It is a natural cholesterol remedy as the rice bran present in the rice, is associated with a reduction in LDL cholesterol.
- Brown Rice has a low Glycemic Index when compared to White Rice. It doesn’t cause a spike in your blood sugar levels after consumption. Studies suggest that regular consumption of this form of rice can reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes by up to 32%.
- The most important reason for its sudden fad is its association with weight loss. The fibre content in the rice makes you feel full quicker and for a longer period which helps you cut down your portion size. It lowers your hunger hormones by regulating them and setting your appetite control in place and invariably helping you lose weight.
- Being rich in dietary fibre, it promotes a healthy heart. The magnesium in Brown Rice is known to lower the risk of stroke. In general, adding Kaikuthal Arisi to your meal can help prevent heart diseases by 22% and chances of stroke by 12%.
- Various types of B vitamins are found in Brown Rice and they play a vital role in many biological functions. Folate (folic acid) a B vitamin in it helps the body form new cells and can prevent certain birth defects Brown rice does not contain gluten and is a safe and healthy choice for those following gluten-free diets.
- Iron, which is essential in carrying oxygen in the blood; Magnesium, which is instrumental in close to 300 bodily functions, and Selenium, which strengthens the immune system and regulates the Thyroid Gland are some of the other nutrients present in the Saaral Brown Rice. These minerals are present in it.
- It is believed that sprouted Brown Rice may be beneficial for mental health, especially for lactating mothers. According to a study by the European Journal of Nutrition, Brown rice showed a reduction in mood disturbances, fatigue and stages of depression. Consuming it during lactation also showed to enhance the body’s ability to resist stress and improved immune defence.
Due to the natural presence of Phytic Acid and Arsenic, doctors advise to not over-indulge in Brown Rice and include it in considerable quantities. All that said, Saaral Brown Rice is a power-house of nutrients and a great alternative to the regular carb-filled white rice. If you are looking to strengthen your diet or simply get healthy, we suggest you add this to your meal plan, right away!
Click here to place an order for Saaral Kaikuthal Arisi ( https://www.saaralstore.com/products/saaral-unpolished-organic-brown-rice-2-pack-x-500-gms-each?variant=43922238800120 )