India thrives on rice and wheat as their staple food. In the never-ending loop of supply and demand, precious nutritional alternatives like the Millets are almost forgotten. Millets are coarse, ‘climate-smart cereals, often preferred by nutritionists and diet experts due to their nutritional benefits.
Millets are packed with the essential amino acids, soluble and insoluble dietary fibre, proteins, vital vitamins, iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium, and phosphorous. They can withstand higher temperatures, can also grow in poor soil conditions, and have a longer shelf life – some between 10 to 12 years – making them farmer-friendly for cultivation.
Of all the varieties of millets, the Browntop millet (Korali Arisi) is the rarest and the most in-demand for its nutritional content and ability to adapt to climate change. Native to the drylands of the Karnataka-Andhra border, it is largely cultivated in the regions of Tumkur, Chikkaballapura, and Chitradurga districts in Karnataka and Ananthpur district in Andhra Pradesh.
Here’s why you should add Unpolished Browntop Millet Rice to your meal:
- It is gluten-free and rich in protein, fibre and minerals.
- Organic Korali Arisi contains about 12.5% fibre when compared to other grains. It is instrumental in dealing with the rising lifestyle diseases amongst today’s generation. It helps lower the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases, diabetes and even duodenal ulcer, upon regular consumption.
- It assists in strengthening your body’s Glycemic response, as it has a lower Glycemic Index when compared to rice; which makes it a great alternative for those suffering from Type-2 Diabetes. It further strengthens your digestibility and absorption of starch in the body.
- It has great nutritional value when compared to other grains. Organic Browntop Millet Rice is replete with iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, fibre and other essential nutrients.
- It works as a great detoxifier and helps ease constipation by regulating bowel movement. It also helps reduce bloating and cramping
- It acts as a probiotic for respiratory disorders. The presence of Niacin (Vitamin B3) helps control blood pressure.
- Some doctors even recommend millet for dermatological problems, arthritis, gastric ulcers and even colon and breast cancer.
Nutritionists believe that Browntop millet rice holds a solution to major lifestyle problems faced by today’s generation. The lack of awareness about its benefits and common disinterest amongst the public towards newer and lesser-known health alternatives is one of the major reason for the lack of popularity of the Korali Arisi. At present, it is cultivated in lesser quantities and utilized in popular traditional sweets with jaggery. New-age food chefs and diet-food curators are trying their best to create products like breakfast cereals, and snack bars to promote its consumption amongst the masses.We, at Saaral Foods, are committed to bringing you nothing but the finest and the best Organic Browntop Millet Rice.